Sunday, March 26, 2006

IIMB GD/PI experience

Here is my experience with IIMB.

Date: 22nd March
Time: 9:00 AM
Venue: Mumbai
Panel: 3 (Though there were only two panels on that day)

Case study:

Only 6 people in the group. 1 lady. anandv and awr also in the group. Vinz was with another panel. The room was very small and so I felt like really sitting in a group for some dinner table discussion. We were given the instructions: 10 mins to think, 15 mins to discuss, 15 mins to write the summary. Summary to be written in running English, with complete sentences, not in points.

Title of the case was "six of spade or pass" which made no sense to me. The case was about an oil company with a name IVL similar to ONGC videsh. The manager KK had a $3 bn bid proposal on his table for an oilfield in Ecuador. The manager was worried about a Chinese competitor CNOC because it had outbidded IVL in past several bids, of which two examples were given in the case. KK felt that CNOC was banking on a rise in oil prices in the future for its not-so-competitive bids to work out. But since last two years CNOC was heavily in the red. In the last bid which was for some $500 mn, CNOC had approached IVL for a JV. KK was now wondering whether CNOC would do the same this time too? Or would it bid separately. We had to discuss about his plan of action.

Because there were only 6 people, everyone had enough chance to speak. We had a good discussion, with some repetitions indeed. There was one person who did lot of one-to-one discussion. But all in all, very peaceful and civilised and almost all possible aspects of the case were brought up and discussed.

PI:

I was the first person to be interviewed.

Two panelists. They had introduced themselves before the GD began but I forgot their names.

P1, P2: interviewers
Me: yours truly

P1: So, you are studying.
Me: Yes sir. Final year engineering.
P2: briefly describe yourself
Me: Answered. Told them about my interest in reading.
P2: So what do you prefer to read?
Me: I prefer biographies/autobiographies.
P2: Which biograpies you have read?
Me: Told
P2: Any particuar book that inspired you?
Me: yes. Iococca's and gave my reasons for that.
P2: ANy Indian personality who has inspired you?
Me: Gandhiji. I was fascinted by his will power. That is something I would like to have in myself.
P2: So you aren't strong mentally?
Me: No sir. I am very strong. But the level of will power that Gandhiji exhbited was different altogether. I would like to achieve that level.

P1: what is this controversy about Google earth
Me: Told
P1: WHo would need sensitive informaion about our country?
Me: Terrorists blah blah.
P1: Why did then google develop such a thing?
Me: Students of geogrphy. teching in schools. Travellers blah blah. Every technology has good and bad uses...

P2 is back

P2: If you were the securiy advisor of India, how would you analyse the problem.
Me: A very brief answer.
P2: So simple?? Ok, what do you think should Google do?
Me: Should agree to India's request.
P2: But you being a techie must know that technology cannt be restricted. If not google, someone else would do that.
Me: Agreed Sir. But google has the technological and financial soundness and also has an immense reach in masses. So a software developed by google would be better and more accessible to people which would mean an easy option for unscrupulous people. n the other hand, if some secret agency tries to develop similar thing, it wouldn't be as good as google earth and would also not be available to so many people. So google should be more responsible.


P2 signals P1 to take over.

I had a project with Reliance Digital world in the area of GIS (Geographical Information System). I had mentioned it in the form in the part time training/work-ex section. It was a pretty interesting project and I was expecting that there would be some questions on it. And there were indeed. P2 and P1 asked me several questions about the project, softwares used, outcomes, utility etc. I am happy at least in some interview, this project came up for discussion.

P1: SO vivek, why MBA?
Me: Told.
P1: Why not M.tech?
Me: My reasons.
P1: 5 years down the line?
Me: Gyan

P2 also chips in.

P2: Why not your own company? It takes hardly any thing to start an IT company?
Me: Not prepared for this thing. Do not have sufficient knowledge.
P2: So you are risk averse?
Me: Nope. I take risks but only calculated risks. I feel starting a company at this stage would be a blind risk.
P2: But gujaratis have entrepreneurship in blood. Take Dhiruhai Ambani. Did he have any expereience when he started on his own? Why not you? (Me a gujju). Has the college education spoilt you? (laughs)
Me: Attempt to justify myself. said that I do a thing only after I feel that I am completely prepared for it.
P1: So, you think you are prepared for an MBA now.
Me: Yes sir. I am as good as any other candidate.


P2: vivek you told that you are from a very small town (in my introduction I said that). SO what is difference you felt in yourself now that you are living in a big city?
Me; competitiveness at the college. resources at my disposal etc. Told them that only after I was out of such a small place which did not even have a library that I discovered my love for reading and in the past 3 years ended up reading lots of books.
P2: How do you find time for reading so much books? Isn't your college schedule hectic?
Me: Told something about being a fast learner.
P2: Didn't write IIT?
Me: Did. couldn't clear mains.
P2: Why? Didn't go for coaching?
Me: brought in the small town thing once again. Lack of proper guidance. Gujarat board curriculum not comprehensive enough.
P2: How do you rate the students at your colllege?
P2: How do they admit students?
P2: QUestion about Placements and Reliance recruiting students.
P2: My placement
Answered all the above questions.

P1: When does your engineering end?
Me: Told
P1: Any chance this might be delayed?
Me: Nope. We are autonomous. Our own schedule.
P1: WHich university does award you degree?
Me: DA-IICT
P1: You haven't sent your marksheets along with the form.(were we supposed to?)Give them now.

give them.

P1: Any questions you would like to ask us?
Me: yes sir. I had one. Now after the GD, I have two.
P2; Go ahead.
Me; If you don't mind sir, what did the title of the GD mean?
P2: Laughs. You find that out. It's an assignment for you. When you come to Bangalore, tell us the answer.
I too laugh and then ask my second question to which P1 gives me a detailed answer. And then Thank you.

This was it. 25 minutes. Completely HR interview. Though I fumbled in that why MBA part, all other things were fine.

No acads. Are yaar, koi to acads puchh lo. I prefer that! At least, I can say don't know. In these HR interviews, there are no don't know questions!

Last one is Indore on 25th.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home