Thursday, February 23, 2006

IIMK GD/PI experience

Had my GD/PI for IIMK at Mumbai on 21st. 2 PM slot. Panel 1.


GD:
There were 10 people in my group including two ladies. The morning people had something related to population for their GD and so I was expecting something similar. Was stumped when I saw the topic:"The best things in life aren't really things." The groups was at a consensus right from the beginning. That the best things are relationships, love, satisfaction etc. which aren't tangible things. Almost everyone had similar points. No one emerged as a clear leader. A peaceful GD, at the end of which everyone was, more or less, on the same footing.

I was the fifth person to be interviewed. It was one hell of a wait because of the heat. With a neck-tie, it was even more suffocating.

p1, P2 - interviewers

p1: Tell me about yourself?
Me: Told
p1: Your father?
Me: Told
P1: your mother?
Me: Told
P1: Any siblings?
Me: Told
p1: What is this ICT? Never heard of it as a degree! (Me from DA-IICT)
Me: Told them that ours is the only college offering such a degree. Explained the course structure.
p1: Question about my percentages in one of the years.
Me: Explained them the conversion formula used in our college for grade to percentage conversion.
p1: YOu have done this course Discrete Maths. What did you study in that?
Me: Predicate Logic and Graphs.
p1: What is predicate logic?
Me: Explained.
p1: Where is it used?
Me: Was not sure. But told them that it is used in theoretical formulation of programs.
P1: YOu have heard of Poisson distribution?
Me: (was scared. Got defensive) yes. But don't remember exactly.
P1: If you have continuous data, which distribution will you use?
Me: Clueless stares.
P1: YOu should remember it na. You seem to have studied it recently.
Me: Sir, it was back in 4th semester.
P1: Ok. tell me what all distributions did you study.
Me: Told.
P1: So which one will you use for discrete data and which one for continuous data?
Me: Clueless stares!!
P1: Ok. You know what is discrete data and continuous data.
Me: Explained.
P1: You have this very interesting course "Introduction to modern algebra."
At this moment, p2 chips in.
P2: What is a ring?
Could understand him here. So there were rounds of "pardon me". Finally he asked me to tell me whatever I had studied in modern algebra.
Me: Told them about groups, rings and fields.
p1: Explain them.
Me: explained.
P1: You must be having a job through campus placements.
me: yes sir. In ________.
p1: So _______ is a good company. Go and join it. Why come to an IIM?
Me: rata hua why MBA? I said something about industry more suited for me than academics.
p1: But you have taken this elective "modern algebra" in your previous sem. People who are interested in an MBA take business/ humanities electives. But you went for such an elective which shows you are an academic type of a person.
Me: Some global gibberish.

At this juncture, p2 comes to my rescue.
p2: Are you aware of the business scenario in the country/
Me: yes. I read newspapers regularly.
p2: which one?
Me: TOI and ET.
p2: What is sensex?
Me: Told. used the term market capitalisation?
p2: What is market Cap.
Me: told.
P2: do you think the rising senses reflects a growth of economy?
Me: Yes. Explained my viewpoint. There were some counter questions. In one of the answers I used the term institutional investors.
p2: Who is an institutional investor?
Me: explained whatever I knew. Used the term scientific investing.
p2: Say I am a finance guy and I invest scientifically after doing all the research. Am I an institutional investor?
Me: No. If one is an Insitutional investor, one will go for scientific investing but reverse is not true. Somewhere used the term mutual fund.
p2: Tell me what is a mutual fund?
Me: explained.
p1: Ok. It was nice talking to you. You may leave now. ALl the best.
p2: All the best.
me: Thank you.

So. that was it. Around 10-12 minutes only. Don't know what to make out of it. Everyone was having simialr interviews. Even in GD, everyone was on an equal footing and then interviews were also quite similar for most of the people. Looks like percentiles are going to matter a lot.

The profs didn't grill me. But they weren't smiling either. The process had an air of seriousness all the time.

Next is L on 6th of March.

4 Comments:

Blogger Naresh said...

Hv hrd 4m ppl tht K is tkng similar interviews...
anyways, all the best 4 the rest!
whr r u gvng these interviews???
Ahmedabad r Delhi?

11:46 AM  
Blogger Rahul said...

Ambivalence !

10:08 AM  
Blogger [Amod] said...

considering the hardships that you faced while catching the train, IIM K convert will be quite satisying..isnt it?

12:41 AM  
Blogger Bhavesh said...

aacha interview hai... shud get converted, i think. da train experience was fun. kuch bhi bol, vadodara station pe khana khane ka maza hi kuch aur hai :D.

2:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home