Tuesday, March 07, 2006

IIML GD/PI experience

Had my IIML interview at Mumbai.

Date : 6th March
venue: Dadar catering college
Time : 10:00 AM
Panel: 2

GD:

10 people in the group. 1 absent. Out of 9 present (no ladies), 5 (including me) were together at IIMA also. In addition, I knew two more and therefore 7 of us being already familiar with each other, the comfort level was very high.

Once inside the room, our forms were collected. They didn't collect the copies of our X, XII and engineering marksheets unlike other IIMs. We were told that once the topic is given, there would be 1 minute to think, 10 minutes to write the essay and then 10 minutes to discuss. The topic was "Income Tax is the most difficult thing to understand." Comparitively easier than What IIML has been giving at other places. The discussion was good. Started in a somewhat chaotic manner but thereafter it was more or less civilised. Good pints were discussed. On some instances, the group digressed but was quickly brought to the track by some or the other member. Overall, the group members were satisfied with their performance.

Interview:

I was the second person to be interviewed. The first person was in for 15 minutes. Didn't ask him about the kind of questions asked as I wanted to go in without any prejudices.

P1, P2: interviewers
Me: yours truly

P1: Vivek, how are you?
Me: Fine Sir. (Didn't ask back how was he. Was not sure whether it was the right thing to do. I was afraid it would look slightly informal if I asked back. Hope I did the right thing.)
P2: Tell us something about yourself.
While answering, I spoke about DA-IICT. He asked me to expand it. Dhirubhai Ambani in the name decided the course of half of my interview.
P2: Why did you not join any conventional course? (Mine is ICT - Information and communication technology. Ours is the only institute that awards this degree)
Me: Explained the course structure. Told them that I couldn't get through IIT and that of all other options available, it was the best one for me.
P1: So are you satisfied?
Me: Yes. sir. Pretty much.
P1: What are the job prospects?
Me: Told
P1: IT sectore has revolutionalised the manufacturing sector. How?
Me: Told about the softwares used to control the manufacturing process and the way they have dramatically changed the quality level.
P1: No. That is not IT. (Isn't it, people???)
Me: told about intelligent machines fitted with highly advanced processors. Basically not just mechanical machines.
P1: No. Not even that.
Decides to leave me here. P1 asks for my file.
P1: What else do you do?
Me: Sir, I read and write.
P1: What do you read?
Me: Various genres. Not science fiction though.
P1: Why not science fiction?
Me: Read Timeline by Crichton and Dune. Didn't interest me much. SO didn't read much sci-fi thereafter.
P1: Any famous sci-fi author you know of?
me: yes sir. Here I wanted to say Arthur C. clarke. But somehow wasn't able to recall the name. In stead, blurted out Jeffrey Archer (Arthur - Archer confused me).
P1: laughs.
Me: Correct myself. Say that he is not a sci-fi writer. But still cannot recollect that name Arthur C. Clarke (Why O why??)
Here P2 who was browsing through my files asked me if I had brought my CAT admit card. I replied in positive. He found it, brought it out and had a look at it (Thank God!!)
P1: Read Asimov. You will start enjoying sci-fi thereafter.
Me: OK sir.
P1: What other activities do you do?
Me: participation in college activities and all that stuff.
Some counter questions.

Now P2 comes into action. I wish he should not have.

P2: What is the leadership style of Dhirubhai Ambani?
Me: Some mumble-jumble about Dhirubhai's focus on wealth creation for shareholders and he being the pioneer of public equity culture in India.
P2: I am asking about the leadership style.
Me: Told them about three quotes attributed to reliance group and Mr. Ambani ; "Growth is life", "Meeting deadlines is not good enough. beating deadlines is what I want" and the third one about tapping young mind. Somehow elaborated them and said that Mr. Ambani wanted to beat the best. I know I wasn't glib at all here.
P2: It is said that Mr. Ambani indulged into a lot of what people call "Cutting the corners". What are your views?
Me: Something about his thinking that obeying license raj was legitimate but was adverse to his ambition of wealth creation for common people and welfare of nation and so he used his political influence but ultimately benefited the economy.
P2: Your views on the feud between Mukesh and Anil Ambani?
Me: Told hem about the highly ambitious nature of the two brothers led to the feud. But now it has been solved amicably?
P2: Do you think it has been really solved amicably?
Me: Considering the size of the group and the complexity of the holding structure some minor problems will keep on arising but the brothers understand that too much fighting would harm the image of the group and damage their prospects. So more or less amicable solution.
P2: Do you think they did the right thing?
Me: (was bored by now) some crap.
P2: If in future, you are asked to lead a business organisation, whom would you follow - Mr. Narayan Murthy or Mr. Dirubhai Ambani?
Me: Both created wealth. Both contributed to the economy. Only that Ambani wasn't as open (didn't want to use the word ethical) as Mr. Murthy. ( Didn't give any particular name here.)

P2 nudges P1.

P1: Ok. You may leave now.
Me: Thank you sirs.

This was it. Only 10 minutes. Come on! This is not fair. I was very much disappointed. No Acads. No current affairs. No budget. 10 minutes is nothing! I travel 10 hrs from Ahmedabad to Mumbai, take 20 mins to get ready in the best of my clothes, 10 minutes to commute to the venue of the interview and after all these, they send me out in 10 minutes!! Not fair at all! Actually P2 asked me questions at which I am not comfortable. I can't dish out gibberish easily. Where as all his questions were such that I had to speak crap in a bombastic language, unfortunately not my cup of tea. However, the panel was quite cordial. Never put any stress on me. There was a kindness in their voice, P2's particularly.

Next is C on 13th.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home