Saturday, April 23, 2005

Nostalgia

Nostalgia...

To me this is the most beautiful English word.

Slipping into nostalgia has been my favourite pastime. And with people like Amod and Steve around who share similar instincts, I find it even more fun to cherish the bygone days.

I still clearly remember the day when I celebrated my 5th birthday. I remember the day when I was honoured with a prestigious award in the school and the expressions that my mom's face wore when my name was declared.I remember The first time I received a serious scolding from my teacher ( I was in HKG then), the first time I was asked to get out of the class ( I was in II standard). I remember the moment when I had a brush with death. I remember the fight I had with my classmate in which I was miserably thrashed. I remember all the days of my two board exams. I remember the moment when I was informed of my excellent board results. I remember the last time I and the closest of my school pals went for a movie together. The day when I unexpectedly cleared screening is strikingly clear in my mind and so is the day when I got rejected in Mains. I can even see that dreaded message on the computer screen with my eyes closed - "Sorry this roll no. does not appear in the merit list". Dreams shattered!. But I also remember The moment when I came to know that I got through DA-IICT NET - The time of the day, the cyber cafe, the people around, my seat number - 231020362, the phone call I made to my Mom - all these are still clear in my mind.So are the counselling day and the first day of the college, the clothes I wore on the first day, the person whom I sat with on the first day, my first meeting with Amod, Steve, Bhavesh, KP, Ankit, Sarath, Akshay and many others, - I remember all these as if it had been just yesterday.

Bored with studying for the exams, I am again nostalgic today. As I sit brooding about the bygone days, I realise that it has been one helluva quick jorney- From carefree childhood days to intense XII standard and JEE days to again happy-go-lucky college years to now again anxious times of CAT/ GRE and placements.Soon we shall navigate our ways through this stage also and have a brief carefree phase in our professional lives before we will be weighed down by family woes and other realities of life. But we have "Miles to go before we sleep" and as we undertake the rest of our journey and face our respective shares of ups and downs in life, we shall gather a cornucopia of memories, sweet and bitter, dreaded and cherished, pleasant and heartrending, giving us all the more reason to be nostalgic.

I love being nostalgic. But often the phases of nostalgia bring me a tinge of poignancy - which results from the realisation that the days are slipping out of my hands, that people whom I enjoy being so much together with will someday part ways with me as they have always, that however much I might be fond of something or someone, I will end up with only memories in many of the cases!

7 Comments:

Blogger Smartalec said...

gosh! guess what kinda state i'm in after going through this post... why nostalgic ofcourse:D! and very senti!
vivek buddy! those get-togethers when all we did was get nostalgic were so cool! gotta do that again! life sure is on the run with each passing day bringing us closer and closer to realizing the truth that our days as students are over! already i'm missing all u guys n college n everything so damn much *sobs*!! i don't wanna grow old!!

10:49 PM  
Blogger Prasoon said...

Beautiful memories..
Live life and cherish them is all i can say!!

8:48 PM  
Blogger Naresh said...

wow! another winning one... I cant put in words the wonderful feeling i am in... With each phase of life u described i cud connect mine!!!
n DA-IICT will be something I hv luvd da most n will miss da most in future...
Ofcrse, v hv "Miles 2 go before we sleep"!

9:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey vivek, my da-iict roll no was 213010532...when I saw ur name as my roomie and 231 was mumbai's code, so I thought u r frm mumbai!!! what if, we all did not meet the way it happened.... just think... life could have been so different(worse)... anyways probably I got one idea to write a blog...

8:52 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

i luv ur blog man! one of few blogs i can say which are meaningful. gawd, you have a way with words and thoughts.

can't say i'll miss any of this, but i sure did enjoy college life.

and template looks good too.

1:09 AM  
Blogger Arpit said...

next post plz...
in need of inspiration to wash away the negative feelings!

2:29 AM  
Blogger Rahul said...

What the ! I came back here to give my second comment on this post only to realise I have comfortably forgotten to write the first. Well anyway this one did seem to linger in my mind for a few days and also had a result :)

7:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home