Friday, May 20, 2005

Life is beautiful

These days are sending shivers down my spine. Every new day reminds me that I have grown up. Almost everyday requires me to ponder a lot over my life. Sometimes it is about CAT or GRE. Sometimes it is the India-abroad dilemma . CAT after BTech or CAT afte work-ex is another issue that baffles me. Placemets are a concern and so is BTP topic and the subjects to take next semester. Ah a little mind and so much to think about. This is just not cricket!

Situations are often such that I cannot consult my parents. All I can do at the most is to consult my friends which I often do not resort to and hence I am alone, weighing the options, struggling to convince myself that I am now capable enough to decide what is good and what is bad for me and hence the decision that I will take will ultimately do good to me. I once took a decision - of joining DA-IICT and not REC Surathkal or NIRMA or B.J. Medical Colelge. Yes, I solely took that decision without consuting anyone and I was just 18 then. A bold step and I am yet to identify whether what I did was the right thing. DA-IICT has indeed been a very good thing to happen to my life but I have no way of knowing as of now whether Surathkal or Nirma or MBBS would have been better or worse. And now, the issues with which I am faced, and I am sure everyone who reads this will also be facing them, are pretty serious. They will essentially decide who "Vivek Pabari" will be 10-15 years from hence. Yes, I am in the process of taking the first few steps towards giving a specific direction to my life. And am feeling the weight of responsibility over my shoulders.

But I often feel that it is just not possible to plan everything in life in advance. One has to live most of the life as it comes. All one can do is to plan at a broader level and be careful to learn from his mistakes and not to repeat them as he undergoes the rigours of life. Living in present is the best thing to do. And eye on future is essential but for the sake of benefits that may occur to one 10 years from now, one must not let go all the pleasures of present life. Some sacrifices are essential but think of someone who slogged through all the years of his youth to have an excellent career only to realise later that it was too lonely at the top. That neck-deep in studies and work, he had failed to develop any relationships in his student-years. That he had abstained himself from pleasures so much that he had now blunted his ability to enjoy. That he had not developed any passion that would rejuvenate him after a days hard work. That he had a beautiful wife and smart kids but had no time to spend with them because he was busy earning for them. So much in the name of success. I would rather prefer something else.

And so I think. But not to the extent that it makes me paranoid about my life. I think, I work and I pray. As a child, I was taught to pray not for material favours from God but to pray earnestly for "Sadbuddhi" - Positive intellect, "Sadnasib" - positive fate and "Swasthya" - Good health. A man who has these three favours shall have a happy life. Since at the basis of all our activities is a desire for happiness, it is imperative that as we think about our future we also look into our present and seek from Him aforementioned three gifts and carry ourselves such that we become deserving candidates for these endowments from Him.

Life is beautiful. Live it.

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

i've seen blogs after such a long time, almost in a new era... u never know what can happen in life. But whatever we plan reflects our interest and motivates us to go ahead in that field... u know what u r, so crush the dilemma, be prepared that nothing will happen as per ur plan.
Best of luck.

10:17 PM  
Blogger Naresh said...

Plans r all wht we can do when v hv options to play with! Plan, put in earnest effort and wait for the result. But when a dilemma creeps in, one should listen to his heart. After all, interest in something is what takes a person places...

12:15 AM  
Blogger Bhavesh said...

Life truly is beautiful.

5:32 AM  
Blogger Smartalec said...

well written! it's quite true that most of our time is wasted by pondering on the opportunity cost of each and every decision we take! we bother wway too much about the future!
we should rather do things to the best of our abilities, and be satisfied with what we get and persue the same without any regrets in mind! i know that it's a "look who's speaking?!" kinda situation but this is one quality everyone needs to imbibe!

8:13 AM  
Blogger I Am Sam said...

ya! quite true! Life is nothing but just a mental reflection. what you sow is what you reap..isn't . a nice piece of writing and it's really triggering lots of things .....

4:51 PM  
Blogger Anand said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

3:30 PM  
Blogger Anand said...

life is beautiful..no doubt about it.just work hard and enjoy .. you will get everything.donot think much about your past decisions but live in present.feel free to discuss anything with me and all other friends you have,if you r confused over something.

3:32 PM  
Blogger Amandeep Singh said...

I am in an engineering colege too and I can perfectly relate to what you ve written here in ur blog.And ya the best thing about it was ur way of praying..Askin for the 3 things...if u get these ur life would be always happy and indeed beautiful!!!!

12:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home