Sunday, January 30, 2005

Alas!!

Oh no! College life is not permanent. In my case, it will soon end. I had this epiphany after reading "The Class" by Erich Segal. It was about students of Harvard batch of 1958 and the ups and downs in their lives till they met for their 25th reunion. I could relate myself to a
number of characters in the novel. Sadly, none of those characters was happy because everyone, though quite ahead in the rat race, was still a rat, with marvellous careers but painful personal lives, with loads of riches but little peace, with beautiful bed-parteners but no
life-partener.

The book compelled me to imagine myself 25 years from hence. I wasn't happy at the prospects of seeing myself as a middle-aged bloke who had outlived the best part of his life i.e. the youth. the prospect of losing my youth really made me sad. Several years from now, when I come
here for my reunion what would be the scenario? All my pals, bubbling today with zeal and ambition, will have grown into silver haired, bear-bellied "uncles". The lovelies of today will then be grown-up and blown-up mothers. All of us would have more or less achieved what we
were destined for. We, an ambitious, greedy lot now, would have been mellowed by the innumerable compromises life would have forced us to make. Our faces hardened by the vagaries of our professional lives, our hearts hardened by the responsibilities of personal life, our ambitions belittled by the realities of life. Some of us might even be "Late". And so will be the professors I admire. I was horrified at the scenario.

What if I fail to achieve what I dream today? Will I be able to cherish my old college days at the reunion then? What if I succed and then bump here into an old bright buddy who could not succeed? Will I be able to stand that moment?

I am really having a very good time these days. Days are difficult and demanding and yet the challenge in life is a motivation strong enough to keep me going. I am surviving on my dreams. Everyday, something happens which reminds me to be grateful to the Almighty for having made me "different" and "privileged" and that the onus now lies on me to make the best use of His bestowments. With every passing day, I am liking my life more and more. I am eager to step out and realise my dreams and yet I do not want to lose these college days. But I know will have to. Very soon, I will have to grow up.

Alas, very soon....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home