Sunday, February 06, 2005

PC...

Hey, I got a comp yesterday. A p4 2.4 Ghz with 533 Mhz system bus and 845GV chipset, 80 Gb HD and 256 MB RAM. Though not a killer, the config is decent enough to serve me well for the next 4 years ( after which I will get a lappie for myself :-) )

Sadly, I do not have LAN connection yet and so at the best the comp will serve me only as a jukebox, at least for some days if not months. But once I get LAN, hopefully I will use it for purposes better than surfing and music. However, at least now the excessive-sleep-syndrome that had gripped me since the beginning of this semester will definitely disappear. And yes, the comp will be of a great utility in satiating my nostalgic pursuits.

Decission of getting the comp was based on several assumptions: That I will work hard on CMOS and SEN projects, that I will maintain an inquisitive and explorative outlook and learn a lot of hardware and software stuff, that I will be in DA-IICT for my B.Tech project because I will need to prepare for GD/ PIs ( which implies that I will have cracked CAT :-), indeed a biiig assumption, Ahem) and that I will get selected in a good MBA college that has LAN connection in hostels.

Now, if these assumptions turn out to be pipe dreams than I will repent the decision of purchasing the comp and making my dad poorer by a quarter of a lakh ( sound big this way, na?). If I do my B.Tech project in the fortunate firm where I, out of generosity, decide to take a job in the placement sessions and if I screw up CAT and need to continue with the job on hand, my PC will be useful to me for only 10 more months. Of those 10 months 4-5 will be devoted to CAT during which I will not be pursuing any ambitious project. And so PC will be used only for browsing and music. So the real utilisation will be done only in the next 4 months which is again based on the way our SEN and CMOS projects progress and the extent of hardwork I decide to put in for them.

So, you see. I played a gamble. And I am keeping my fingers crossed!

Anyway, I came across these nice lines in yesterday's ET:

ANd london is a city of men
There is power in the air
And paris is a city of girls
With flowers in their hair
And it is nice to dream in venice
And great to roam in rome
But when it comes to living
There is no better place than home.

keviv

1 Comments:

Blogger Ankur said...

so vivek..wat do u think..did u do justice to ur pc..?? how were ur SEN n CMOS projects..did they happen to use the computin power of ur pc or it continued to be a juke-box...

rest aside...loved those lines u quoted from ET..bye

9:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home